Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Do your taxes yourself on the cheap

I hardly have the time to get into a discussion about how awful our tax code is, but I can at least offer this piece of advice for any residents of California, Michigan, Montana, or my home state of Pennsylvania: do it the cheap and easy way.  E-filing is yet another great internet convenience, and the federal government offers a free e-file program.  This is the wonderful offer you always hear about on H&R Block commercials - FREE 1040EZ FILING!  These companies still need to make a buck though, so if you want to file your state return through them or claim certain deductions, you better pony up $35 or more.  Less-known companies looking to break into the market will hover around $15.